CPAP users save $$$ . . .
Dan
2007-11-19 01:19:46 UTC
on your electric bill. Check with your local power company for "medical
baseline" rates. Wish I had known about this (5) years ago! Learned
about it from a waiter in a restaurant of all places. Here is a link for
those served by Edison in California.

http://www.sce.com/CustomerService/RateInformation/ResidentialRates/MedicalBaselineAllocation.htm
Sue Morton
2007-11-19 01:35:49 UTC
Did you get it, based on having a CPAP? I'm asking because I've looked into
this a bit, and (so far) CPAP has not been considered "life support
equipment" (I'm in CA too). The utilties here require a doctor's
certification that life-support equipment is in use before they will flag
the account. Perhaps a doctor would certify one of the newer
servo-ventilation units like the Adapt SV, which do assist with breathing to
a certain extent.
--
Sue Morton
Dan
2007-11-19 04:58:05 UTC
Post by Sue Morton
Did you get it, based on having a CPAP? I'm asking because I've looked into
this a bit, and (so far) CPAP has not been considered "life support
equipment" (I'm in CA too). The utilties here require a doctor's
certification that life-support equipment is in use before they will flag
the account. Perhaps a doctor would certify one of the newer
servo-ventilation units like the Adapt SV, which do assist with breathing to
a certain extent.
Yes a CPAP machine qualifies. Note "apnea monitors" in the following.

http://www.sce.com/NR/rdonlyres/217DA568-409F-410F-AE5B-2F6B2D646D35/0/581MedBaselineSheetr1.pdf

It is a (2) page form to fill out. You fill out page (1) and the sleep
doc fills out page (2). I was approved (7) days after mailing the form
to the doctor with a stamped & addressed envelope to forward the claim
the SCE.
Sue Morton
2007-11-19 06:10:21 UTC
That's interesting. I saw the apnea monitors listed there. But in our
area, that was for pediatric monitors not for CPAP... that's why I was
curious whether you got the discounted rate based on having a CPAP. Good to
know :-)
--
Sue Morton
maria
2007-11-19 14:36:42 UTC
I've been receiving the discount for about 5 years now. All you need is
a note from your doctor saying you use the machine. I live in northern
Calif. and serviced by Pacific Gas & Electric.

Maria
know :-)
ll
2007-11-21 04:47:24 UTC
<http://www.pge.com/res/financial_assistance/medical_baseline_li
fe_support/>

"What is life support equipment?

Life support equipment includes:
... , intermittent positive pressure breathing (IPPB) machines"

Close enough for me.
"IPPB" I learned a new acronym.

They just increase the value of base level (lowest tier)
on the multi-tier pricing scheme.